- Q: How do I install ENVI/IDL?
A: Follow these steps to install ENVI/IDL on your computer.
You will also need the following item (obtained from Paul or Kengshi):
- An installation disk
- A license file.
Prerequisite: Install X11 (XQuartz) on Mac OS X:
X11 is a prerequisite for running ENVI/IDL or MATLAB. Apple no longer ships X11 as a component of Mac OS X. The XQuartz project is an open-source effort to develop a version of the X.org X Window System that runs on OS X. Download and install the latest version of XQuartz from https://xquartz.macosforge.org/landing/
Once XQuartz is downloaded and installed, and you have logged out and back in, to make XQuartz your default, you may proceed with the installation of ENVI/IDL.
To install the ENVI/IDL client on Mac OS X:
Start the installer: Install_IDL83ENVI51.pkg
Continue through the welcome screen
Agree to the Software License Agreement
If given a destination option, select Install for all users of this computer
Select the Installation type
Install in the standard location
- The Installer will request an administrator's name and password
The Installer should now finish to completion
After the Installer finishes, the LicenseWizard will launch. Select Install a license you have received
Browse to the location where you saved the license file
Select the license file
Finish the license installation
The Excelis applications can be found in the Applications folder in a folder named excelis
To install the ENVI 5.1 Hotfix 1 on Mac
To install the ENVI/IDL client on Windows:
The ENVI Software Download and Installation Instructions say basically:
- Go to the location where you saved the executable file and double-click it.
- Click Yes, and follow the prompts.
Here are step-by-step instructions:
- Log in to an Administrator account on the PC
- Drag the files IDL83ENVI51_win64.exe, HotFix-envi51idl83r7.exe, and envi-network-client-license.dat to the Desktop
- Double click IDL83ENVI51_win64.exe to launch the installer
- Allow the installation, click Yes
- Admin account, continue? Click Yes
- Installer, click Next
- Accept the license, click Next
- Choose the default destination, click Next
- Select products, click Next
- Select the shortcuts you want to appear in the Start menu, click Next
- To run the License Wizard, click Yes
- Select Install a license you have recieved, click Next
- Select Browse to import license file… and open the license file you dragged in step 2
- Your product has been licensed, click Finish
- Installation completed, click Finish
- Launch both ENVI and IDL to make sure they work. When you launch IDL it may display a window asking to allow idlldl
to communicate with public networks. (I don't know why.)
- Double click HotFix-envi51idl83r7.exe to run the Hot Fix installer. Follow the prompts.
- Once the installations are complete you may move the files IDL83ENVI51_win64.exe, HotFix-envi51idl83r7.exe,
and envi-network-client-license.dat to the trash.