- Q: How do I use AirPlay Mirroring on the Geology classroom projectors?
A: You can use AirPlay Mirroring with a recent MacBook, iPhone, iPad, iPad mini, or iPod touch
to mirror your device's display on certain Geology classroom projectors using Apple TV.
First, note that your computer or mobile device might not work because it is too old:
You need an iMac, MacBook Air or Mac Mini from
mid-2011, or later, or a MacBook Pro from early 2011, or later, running Mountain
Lion (10.8) or later (check About This Mac → More Info… under the Apple menu).
- For mobile devices, you need an iPhone 4S (or later), iPad 2 (or later), iPad mini, or iPod touch (5th generation) or later. On a mobile device, AirPlay Mirroring requires iOS 6 or later. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4437
Enable AirPlay Mirroring
Turn on the projector using the power button in the upper right-hand corner of the remote control for the projector.
Use the Input selector button in the upper left-hand corner of the remote control for the projector to select the HDMI input.
(See schematic of remote control to the right.)
- Connect your Mac or iOS device and your Apple TV to the same Wi-Fi network.
In Geology this network is called AirPlay.GEONET.
On Mac use System Preferences… → Network → Airport or Wi-Fi → Network Name:
On iOS use Settings → Wi-Fi → Choose a Network…
It may take up to a minute of network scanning before the Network Names appear.
Select/tap AirPlay.GEONET and, if requested, enter the password: geoprojector
On your MacBook
- You should soon see the AirPlay icon appear in the menu bar at the top of the screen. If you don't see the AirPlay icon, click on the desktop or the Finder icon in the Dock to make the Finder the current application. Now you should see the AirPlay icon.
Click the AirPlay icon to display a list of available AirPlay devices.
iOS 6: Double-click the Home button to display your recently used apps.
Swipe the recently used apps twice from left to right until you see the AirPlay icon
iOS 7: Swipe up from the bottom of your screen to access Control Center.
- Tap AirPlay to display a list of available AirPlay devices.
To use AirPlay Mirroring, select the name of the Apple TV projector you plan to use (e.g. Apple TV 1119 EPS) then toggle the Mirroring ON/OFF slider to ON.
The Apple TV projector will display a 4-digit on-screen AirPlay Code.
Look for this 4-digit code on the projection screen.
Enter that 4-digit code when prompted for the AirPlay Device Password.
In a moment you should be connected.
To stop mirroring or streaming, open the AirPlay menu and Turn Off AirPlay Mirroring.
When you have finished using AirPlay Mirroring on the projector,
please return the projector to the Computer 1 input
(set to the Computer 2 input in room 1119)
using the input selector button in the upper left-hand corner of the remote.
- You may also want to reset your Wi-Fi network to moobilenet(x).
- You need an iMac, MacBook Air or Mac Mini from mid-2011, or later, or a MacBook Pro from early 2011, or later, running Mountain Lion (10.8) or later (check About This Mac → More Info… under the Apple menu).