- Q: Can I write a letter of recommendation on department letterhead?
- A: The University's Policy and Procedure manual states that individual departments are not allowed to design their own letterhead; instead, departments are allowed to use University letterhead for University business. So the Geology department does not have a department letterhead; we use University letterhead for all official business.
- Q: Can grad students write a letter of recommendation on University/Department letterhead?
A: On occasion, Geology graduate students may be asked to write a
letter of recommendation on behalf of a student. Current policy
(Approved: 12/1/11, Supersedes: 10/10/06)
statesimplies that as long as the graduate student is still affiliated with the department, they can use departmental letterhead for official University business, including writing a letter of recommendation.
Here’s the policy statement in PPM 310-55:
A. The appearance and use of letterhead stationery and business cards is governed by the following concepts:
- The University must be represented in a manner that reflects its configuration as a unified system of enterprises in research, teaching, and public service.
- Individuals or groups within the University community are not permitted to present opinions in ways that imply endorsement by the University.
- The University does not take a position on political or religious issues.
- Q: Can grad students use University/Department letterhead for letters of application to other institutions or for scholarship applications?
- A: In regards to applications, graduate students are not conducting official University business and may not use University letterhead.